2022 Building Code Updates: Fiberglass Rebar
Fiberglass rebar (in the codes as glass fiber reinforced polymer [GFRP]) is an amazing product that had quite a banner year in terms of incorporation into U.S. building codes
Why Fiberglass Rebar?
- Easier to cut and manipulate
- 75% lighter = fewer deliveries and less heavy lifting
- Stronger: 2x-3x the strength
- Longer-lasting: no corrosion
All told you save on operational costs. And at the moment you also save over black steel on material costs.
- With the addition of appendix D, GFRP can be used in non-loadbearing masonry walls. This make it ideal for fire escapes, elevator shafts, and retaining walls.
- No impact on a masonry wall’s fire rating
- No need to bend at the footer because the bar doesn’t corrode when in contact with the ground. Development length of a a straight bar 20x its diameter (e.g., 1/2″ bar should go in 10″)
- Replace the steel bar with an equal diameter bar that meets ASTM D7957 (#4 steel –> 4MAX)
- Codifies what has been a design guide for 15+ years
- Explains use in most concrete structures, with some exceptions (e.g, high seismic zones)
- Offers suggested reinforcement details
Ready to make the switch? Want a 2nd option from an engineer? Need a sample? Contact Ernest Maier today.
Ernest Maier and Gomoljak Counter Price Sheet
Pricing accurate as of 3/1/2023 and valid for Annapolis, Bladensburg, and Gaithersburg locations (contact us for bulk pricing and delivery): […]
How Does Heat Affect Concrete?
All stages of concrete manufacturing and placing operations are significantly impacted by hot weather. Heat speeds up the hydration process […]
How Is Recycled Concrete Made And Used?
Concrete can be broken down into a range of sizes when it is recycled. The material is incredibly versatile because […]
Bay Ready Mix Announces Publication of Its Environmental Product Declarations (EPD)
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Bay Ready Mix Announces Publication of Its Environmental Product Declarations (EPD) Baltimore, Maryland- April 5, 2023 Bay […]
4 Key Facts About the Concrete Masonry Checkoff Program
What is the Concrete Masonry Checkoff Program? The Concrete Masonry Checkoff is a program created by the concrete masonry industry […]