2022 Building Code Updates: Fiberglass Rebar
Fiberglass rebar (in the codes as glass fiber reinforced polymer [GFRP]) is an amazing product that had quite a banner year in terms of incorporation into U.S. building codes
- Easier to cut and manipulate
- 75% lighter = fewer deliveries and less heavy lifting
- Stronger: 2x-3x the strength
- Longer-lasting: no corrosion
All told you save on operational costs. And at the moment you also save over black steel on material costs.
- With the addition of appendix D, GFRP can be used in non-loadbearing masonry walls. This make it ideal for fire escapes, elevator shafts, and retaining walls.
- No impact on a masonry wall’s fire rating
- No need to bend at the footer because the bar doesn’t corrode when in contact with the ground. Development length of a a straight bar 20x its diameter (e.g., 1/2″ bar should go in 10″)
- Replace the steel bar with an equal diameter bar that meets ASTM D7957 (#4 steel –> 4MAX)
- Codifies what has been a design guide for 15+ years
- Explains use in most concrete structures, with some exceptions (e.g, high seismic zones)
- Offers suggested reinforcement details
Ready to make the switch? Want a 2nd option from an engineer? Need a sample? Contact Ernest Maier today.
Ernest Maier and Gomoljak Counter Price Sheet
Pricing accurate as of 10/3/2022 and valid for Annapolis, Bladensburg, and Gaithersburg locations (contact us for bulk pricing and delivery): […]
How Strong Is Fiberglass Rebar?
Fiberglass rebar is a reinforcing bar constructed from glass fiber and resin. Fiberglass rebar has risen in popularity in construction […]
Can Fiberglass Rebar Be Used In A Foundation?
Rebar has historically been the most typically utilized raw material in construction. Almost all structures are constructed out of concrete […]
Answering 6 FAQs About Fiberglass Rebar
Demand for glass fiber reinforced polymers (GFRP), aka fiberglass rebar, has been growing as an innovation over steel rebar and […]
Infrastructure Under Attack
With the long awaited passage of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act), America is poised to make […]